Edit: I hit rank 1 playing exclusively this deck! I continue to think it is quite strong.
This is your standard, no-funny-business, week 1 aggro deck. I'm currently Rank 15 and it's been great at climbing. I messed around with a handful of different aggro decks, and I think this one was the best one, but we'll see how things shake out over time.
If you're new or unsure which cards to craft first, I highly recommend you make Helena, Skyguide
first. Ijin, Mithril Daimyo
is very good and should probably come second, but Helena is just insane. She gives your deck a lot of reach, pushes a lot of damage, and breaks Permafrost
. Inferno Phoenix
is really good but if you're short on shiftstone, you can hold off until later.
Some play tips:
1. If you have a choice between Battlefront Dasher and Kazuo, Melee Virtuoso as your first plays, go with the Dasher and use Contract.
2. Ijin, Mithril Daimyo with contract is a great way to refill after a board wipe, so if you suspect one, you might hold her back. In addition, playing her post combat with no contract when you have 5 power can be really powerful to set up a flyer like Helena for lethal the next turn.
3. Oni Inciter is one of the worst 2 drops to play on turn 2 but is a great and flexible 2-drop in the later turns. You can make a Warhelm and then throw one on a huge Warcry'd unit or a flyer.
Lastly, some card considerations and choices:
1. You'll notice that League Explorer
and D'Angolo Houndmaster
are in the format and missing from this deck. Please put down your pitchforks and allow me to explain. For one, I don't think either is ideal in a weapon-based deck like this one that prefers to build up 1-2 units to be really big. Secondly, this format is wipe city, and going wide does not feel optimal at the moment (or maybe ever.) Elemental Fury
, Nothing Remains
, Harsh Rule
, and Trials and Tribulations
are everywhere. Third, there are a lot of large health units like Kehanya, Skilled Caster
, Quinn, Master Tracker
, Iadria, Twisted Brewer
, and others are very common right now. So put down your little chargers and Magma Hounds and suit up your humble Crownwatch Paladin
s and flyers.
2. The spot I feel least confident about is Inoa's Fury
. However, I felt having a quickdraw option and additional pump spell was best. It's worked out since I put it in so it will stay for now.
3. I played Varbuk, Hand of Anarchy
for a while, and he wasn't bad, but didn't feel as good as Ijin (and a deck like this only wants one card in the 4-drop slot). I like him a lot less in a format with Torch.
That's all. I'm sure things will change a bit as the format evolves but it feels good for week one, and any changes would be pretty minor, I think. Have fun!