Here is a deck that not only uses Evenhanded Golem
alongside a Market, but a Market with whatever you want in it - including odd-costed cards. Since they're not in your deck, the cost doesn't matter - just like cards on the field, in your void, or in your hand.
The tools that let us access the Market are Vine Grafter
and Xumuc Coercion
. Because of this, all the cards in this Market must be at least Shadow - although you could obviously use another card from the Grafter cycle in a different faction-ed deck.
The only thing that will disable Evenhanded Golem (besides the usual culprits like Firebomb
s, Turn to Seed
, Rain of Frogs
, Tempting Offer
) are cards that shuffle your void into your own deck, after you've used a Market card. This would usually only really happen late in the game.
This deck is built around sacrifice effects, trying to outdraw/stall the game until we can get our top end cards of Jekk, Lone Gun
out. I only have one Jekk in there right now because I only have one and don't feel like crafting more right now (rip Shiftstone after crafting new set jank).
Reasoning behind some card choices: Slag
- Not a lot of great even-costed relic removal in Stonescar colors, and I didn't feel like I had room to spare in the market, so I put these in the maindeck. I was thinking of running 2x, but with the popularity of new relics and Sentinels, 3x feels like a good amount at the moment. This is also important for removing Sandstorm Titan which can really hurt your endgame if it comes down to having to fly over a board stall with Metalfang
and Memory Dredger
- Best removal you can get for a Stonescar sacrifice deck. Can only use from Market as is it odd-costed, obviously. Shrine to Karvet
- Still such a stupid card. This is your first Market draw against most decks, but especially Aggro unless you need immediate removal. Even outside Aggro matchups, this card offers insane stabilization and swing potential. Sinister Design
- For when you need to sacrifice something. This is fast speed, so it can make for a nice combat trick when used on a Devious Drone. I recommend grabbing this from Market first when facing heavy/unitless Control, as shifting it means that they can't use slow removal to clear it out before it gets at least 10 damage in. EDIT: Changed this to Blightmoth - the Summon effect is obviously great against Grenadin and Yetis, and the recurring body is nice for chump blocking or sacrificing. Nullblade
- Void hate card. It can obviously be used for removal as well, but with only 3 armor, it isn't likely to take out more than one enemy unit. Sometimes I will play this and use removal spells if my board is healthy with blockers and I don't foresee any chargers or flyers coming down from the other player soon, as the void hate effect will still proc. Vara, Vengeance-Seeker
- Aegis hate card. Outside of 1x Nullblade, we have no removal besides spells, forcing trades, and (as it stands right now), 1x Jekk tribute effect. This helps to clear out sticky Aegis units as well as face Aegis if you need to Slag the opponent's relic. The lifesteal is also nice to stabilize (although nothing compared to Shrine to Karvet).
The rest of the cards should be obvious picks for a Stonescar sacrifice deck that need no real explanation. These are definitely not the only options, of course. I could see arguments for the following (there are definitely more options than listed here):
Noticeable pain points that I've experienced so far have been:
- Rolant, Iron Tyrant
(perfect counter for this deck, just hope this doesn't show up)
- Milos, Rebel Bomber
- Tocas, Waystone Harvester
- Mill decks
P.S. this deck made it to Masters in December 2020!