137 - 1 (19 successful runs, 1 incomplete)
This is my attempt at making Sodi the Metamorph
work, but at some point it just became a Sodi's Spellshaper
I think her stats is just bad for a 3 drop and I can't really justify having x4 of her in the maindeck (oh I've tried, even tested a 3/1 and 2/1 market split, but noooo - she just can't block LOL).
So why keep her then?
For the most part, the deck works without her. You'll find her invaluable, however, during board stalls where you rarely trigger any of your attack-based draw. Her extra draw allows you to dig out your Savagery
+ other fast spells so you can bait AI to block poorly.
While she's no Kairos, Grand Champion
, what she does is give you incrementing value - the longer she stays on the board, the better you'll outpace AI.
That's not to say we don't have draw. We have Sodi, Wingbreaker
, Temple Scribe
, Seek Answers
, Sodi's Spellshaper
+ Sodi the Metamorph
= total of 16 draw sources. 15 of them in the maindeck. 11 cost 2.
Elysian has been my pet project for a while now, and this is the first time I've felt confident running her in Gauntlet. EDIT: Removed a copy of Xenan Obelisk from the main deck. I must've added it by mistake. UPDATE: Fixed powerbase for more undepleted and added Emblem of Grodov. UPDATE: Added Varret, Hero-in-Training. He's been performing well from Run 17 onwards. As a side note, this deck has been pretty consistent VS Sudden Death (3-0), which I find to be the hardest boss. TIPS:
* Versus Fire, I wait until I get Xenan Obelisk
out to play Sodi the Metamorph
. Against other factions, I play her openly. She can still die to Suffocate
, but it's not as prevalent as Torch
is not just for Cirso, the Great Glutton
, I often use it on Teacher of Humility
early game to get advantage.
* Don't go out of your way to trigger Sodi the Metamorph
's muster ability. Go for the safer play. Her card draw is USUALLY more important. Come to think of it, don't go out of your way to PLAY Sodi the Metamorph
. You only have 4 merchants, pull what you need.
* Time your removals. I normally use them if I get to attack that turn and trigger Sodi's Spellshaper
, or a Teacher of Humility
infiltrate, or Sodi, Wingbreaker
skill. Other times, I'm probably stalling.
* I think Sodi's Spellshaper
works better if the deck is pure aggro, but I made it more mid-rangey because I'm a bad aggro player (LOL), and I want to be able to stall if AI beats us to the beatdown. That said, our curve tops out at 5 and if you get a good aggressive hand, then go to town. I've had multiple games where I beat AI with just 1-3-cost cards + Sodi's Spellshaper
+ lots of Equivocate
* The deck tries to take advantage of Elysian's tranformation suite of cards - Equivocate
x8 and Cirso, the Great Glutton
x4. I'm confident facing Defender of the Spire with this deck + Power of Progress + other heavily-themed AI decks.
* I still kept 2 Scorpion Wasp
s because I hate aegis. I tried a full playset but it just doesn't work with our strategy. 2 seems to be the sweet spot. If you're not bothered with aegis, feel free to add in x2 Sodi the Metamorph
although I'd advise you to look into Edict of Grodov
LOSSES: 1st loss: 5th game of 9th run = Rising Up
- AI played on curve then topped it off with Bandit Queen
- My first drop was Tocas, Waystone Harvester
. I thought it was going to be enough so I didn't redraw. Well I thought wrong LOL.
- Try to mulligan for earlier drops vs aggro, just to be safe.
WHAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT:
* I used to have Edict of Linrei
in the deck, but since it's not FAST, I took it out for more copies of Equivocate
and Ice Bolt
(which you can use on your own units if AI tries to remove it). We need faster interaction to get favorable trades.
* I had both Rost, the Walking Glacier
+ Linrei Evangel
at some point. The deck was VERY good, but that's when I realized that Elysian just crumbles MORE without a lot of draw so I switched back to Sodi, Wingbreaker
then added Temple Scribe
* Spellcraft cards for Sodi the Metamorph
's muster! I had a full sets / splits of Staff of Speed
and Tome of Repetition
during my tests. I cut them because I couldn't make Sodi the Metamorph
the real highlight of the deck + they don't do anything without units + sucks when you're behind and just looking for answers.
* Gnash, Unrelenting
. I don't have copies. I crafted Sodi the Metamorph
first LOL. I'll craft him next, and update if he's needed here. UPDATE: I tested him. He's good, but the deck plays differently - I think he needs his own deck but I'll keep looking out for improvements.
* Cykalis, the Burning Sand
. An early, more aggressive version of the deck has him. That version just lost kept losing to bigger units played on curve / bonded so I left him out to play safer.
1. Sudden Death (double damage) - 7 turns
2. Company of Exiles (spells into units) - 8 turns
3. Highly Skilled (+1/+1 for each battle skill) - 9 turns
4. Highly Skilled (+1/+1 for each battle skill) - 19 turns
5. Limitless Possibilities (random battle skill) - 7 turns
6. Defender of the Spire (5 influence per faction) - 7 turns
7. Limitless Possibilities (random battle skill) - 7 turns
8. Labyrinth Treasury (units cost 1 less) - 11 turns
10. Sudden Death (double damage) - 9 turns
11. Labyrinth Treasury (units cost 1 less) - 39 turns
12. Defender of the Spire (5 influence per faction) - 7 turns
13. Limitless Possibilities (random battle skill) - 17 turns
14. Mindless Aggression (charge) - 11 turns
15. Limitless Possibilities (random battle skill) - 7 turns
16. Highly Skilled (+1/+1 for each battle skill) - 9 turns
17. Highly Skilled (+1/+1 for each battle skill) - 7 turns
18. Company of Exiles (spells into units) - 10 turns
19. Sudden Death (double damage) - 8 turns
20. Company of Exiles (spells into units) - 7 turns